Captain Andrea Quondamatteo was born on 6 June 1976 in San Benedetto del Tronto, Italy. After completing High School, he joined the Italian Naval Academy, graduating as an officer in 1999. His first command was the Offshore Patrol Vessel VEGA (2008/2010). On 1st Jan 2011 he was promoted Lieutenant Commander.
His sea service has included:
- Combat Information Centre Officer and Navigator of the destroyer Francesco MIMBELLI (2000/2002);
- Anti-Surface Warfare Officer and Principal Warfare Officer of the destroyer Luigi DURAND DE LA PENNE (2004/2008).
Assignments ashore have included:
- First year Cadet instructor at the Italian Naval Academy (2002/04);
- Fleet Planner within the N3 (Operations) Department at the Commander in Chief of the Italian Navy Fleet HQ (2010/2013);-
- Radar-men/Aircraft Controllers/Interceptor Controllers branch head within the N7 (Training) Department at the Commander in Chief of the Italian Navy Fleet HQ (2013/2015);
- Training Branch Head at the First Naval Division Command in La Spezia (2015/2017).
Promoted to Commander on 1 January 2015, his time ashore has also included service in the EUNAVFORMED OHQ where he was responsible for leading the Future Ops cell within the J3 Division. He took up his current assignment at MARINALLES LA SPEZIA as Section Head for the FREMM 7 construction (ITS Federico MARTINENGO F596, launched on 4 March 2017) on 13 Feb 2017. On 24th April 2018 he has been nominated CO of the latter warship. Currently living in Rome, he has two children, Alessandro 19 y.o. and Lara 2 y.o..
From July 2019, he has been appointed to the Italian Navy General Staff in Rome at the Maritime Policy Department, where he is in charge of the CAPDEV for the requirement definition of the new naval programs and, at the same time, he is the Project Coordinator of the PESCO Projects European Patrol Corvette (EPC).
He is father of 3 siblings.
- Silver Cross (16 years) of service;
- Medal of Honour for long navigation - third rank (10 years);
- Memorial Cross for taking part to the military mission of peace, United Nation Lebanon (UNIFIL);
- Memorial Cross for taking part to the International Security Operations in Afghanistan;
- Memorial Cross for taking part in EU NAVFOR MED Operation SOPHIA;
- Memorial Cross for taking part in EU NAVFOR SOMALI Operation ATALANTA;
- Memorial Cross for taking part in MARE SICURO;
- Medal of merit for the service at CINCNAV HQ and at the Italian Navy General Staff;
- Medal of merit named “Medalla de la Armada Argentina”;
- Medal of merit named “Medalla Almirante Biron”.
Titles and Courses:
- Degree cum laude in Electronic Engineering at Pisa University (1999);
- CIC and Telecommunication qualification courses in 1999/2000 and 2003/2004.
- War College in Venice (2003/2004);
- PWO School in 2004 at the IT Navy Training Centre in Taranto;
- Degree cum laude in Maritime and Naval Sciences at Pisa University (2005);
- Degree in Political Sciences at Trieste University (2006);
- 237th Session for Commanding Officers School (2007);
- 125th Senior Course (Staff College) at the NATO Defense College (2014);
- Master Degree in Security Science and International Relation at Ca’ Foscari University in Trieste associated with the War College (2021).